My team is hiring developers in the high-scale data space that have experience building data and analytics pipelines. The ideal candidate is someone with a deep understanding of Lamda architecture and has built production systems with it. Experience with NoSQL databases, Kafka, Spark, Hadoop, Serverless, Containers, and Kubernetes are the norm for this role. Experience with Azure data services such as Cosmos DB, Azure Data Lake, and Azure Stream Analytics are a bonus.
Our team is called Commercial Software Engineering and our mission is to help customers innovate with Azure. We do that via direct engagements where we code side-by-side with customers on their specific scenarios. For example, right now my team is working with a select few customers on the IoT Edge v2 product that is currently in private preview. We code with the customers, get their feedback to the engineering team and develop stop gaps that enable their scenarios. A win-win for us is when the customer is able to innovate on their scenarios with Azure and the engineering team is able to improve their services based on customer feedback. We then share all of this innovation and learnings via GitHub, Microsoft Docs, Blogs and Conferences.
This role is unique because it is a hybrid engineering role that enables you to have direct access to customers and code alongside them. Before joining this team, I was a product developer for 18 years and didn’t have much direct exposure to the users of my applications or services. This role puts you right into the thick of it with customers. Your impact is measured by how you help customers develop with Microsoft services and also how you influence engineering teams to build services based on customer needs. It’s a great role for engineers that love to code, but also don’t want to code all-day-every-day on the same product. There’s a lot of variety here and you get exposed to so many high-scale scenarios that force you to grow your skillset. I have learned more about cloud services and architecture in this role than any other role. Rather than spending years on a service like Power BI or Bing, I’ve spend a lot of time building complete cloud scenarios that involve all aspects of cloud solutions, from ingestion, to analytics and continuous delivery.
If this role sounds interesting to you, then I highly encourage you to apply. If you aren’t ready to apply and just have some questions, you can also send me an email to chat.
- Relo to Redmond area is highly recommended for this role.
- Travel will be required, but we let you manage based on your comfort level.
- Go to http://aka.ms/jobs, select the role you are most qualified for and apply to it.
- Send me your resume and a short blurb about yourself: http://bit.ly/emailjon
Here’s the full job description:
Are you passionate about data solutions? Are you looking for opportunities to partner with the world’s top developers on Open Source Software contributions? Do you want to be on the cutting edge of the newest Microsoft and OSS data solutions on Azure? Are you looking for a technical role with high impact and high career growth opportunities? Then this position is right for you.
Our customers are building amazing data applications and we are looking for a software engineer with strong developer and engineering skills to join the Commercial Software Engineering SDE Team with the objective to drive adoption and development of industry leading Azure based applications and services. In this role you will drive direct technical engagement and coding on next-generation technologies, often for the first time with customers and partners.
The candidate will need to demonstrate deep technical knowledge and data development expertise necessary to build leading-edge applications and solutions in partnership with top-tier software vendors and customers. The candidate will have the technical expertise and problem solving skills to build strong, influential relationships with partners by helping them solve their most complex technical problems. As part of the role, the candidate will need to work closely with other engineering groups, provide partner feedback, and influence the roadmap for future product releases. The candidate will also engage with partners to chart their applications’ architectural direction and develop the resulting solutions. Based on their deep expertise developing this software, the candidate will present at top industry events.
This candidate will be responsible for:
• Developing commercially available solutions using Microsoft and OSS data solution on Azure.
• Technical subject matter expertise in OSS and Microsoft data technologies to build code and other technical content to support developer events, architecture design sessions, and resolve issues.
• Evaluating technical previews of new platform and product investments with emphasis on client application development and cross-platform solutions that connect to the cloud.
• Providing subject matter expertise and leadership to Microsoft teams worldwide.
• Working closely with Microsoft teams to influence the future product roadmap.
• Developing and driving new ways of thinking across groups within the division to improve quality, engineering productivity, and responsiveness to feedback and changing priorities
The ideal candidate will have:
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in software development
• Demonstrated deep technical developer capabilities in OSS or Microsoft technologies
• A deep understanding of cloud computing technologies, and emerging trends
• Demonstrated ability to influence cross-discipline virtual teams
• Great communication and presentation skills including public speaking at industry events
• Broad functional knowledge base to solve complex customer problems
• A sense of commitment to end-to-end product or service quality, completeness and the resulting user experience for the life of products and services
• Strong knowledge of application development practices and a track record of working closely with large development team
• Exceptional decision making skills, conflict resolution, and follow through with customers and partners
• BS/BA degree, Masters in Computer Science preferred
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to [email protected].